Thursday, September 1, 2011

Black and White Photography Yesterday and Today

Wow, do I love Black and White Photos! In high school I had my first Black and White experiences. In my photography class we would use Black and White film and develop the film in a darkroom. It was then that I started to understand light and shadows. I began to study the photographs of Ansel Adams and Edward Weston and learn from their work.


Edward Weston

Digital photography allows me to create Black and White photographs in my digital "darkroom". I enjoy photographing portraits, architecture and landscapes to produce a Black and White print. Not all photographs will look "great" in Black and White. I carefully choose photographs that have the light, shadows, textures, and composition that I beleive work well in Black and White.

This is a photo I took in San Gimignano, Italy. I like the textures of the brick walls and cobblestone street. They capture the light and create great shadows in this photo.





This Black and White photograph was taken in Charleston, SC. I love all the light at the end of the alley!



Portraits can look great in Black and White. For this photograph, I worked with a single light source and created this "Retro" image.




You already know I love to photograph newborns and babies. Well, here's a cutie celebrating her 1st birthday. I finished this photo in what I call a "Fantasy" Black and White look.



 
Let me know if you like Black and White photography. If you have a photo session in mind, contact me and let's do it together.

Thanks for visiting the blog and hope to see you here next week.

Peace,

John

noblecoastphotography@gmail.com

www.noblecoastphotography.com

phone: 704 905 9403

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your black and white pictures. Your talent is sure coming out!

Jane